This is a weekly meme by The Broke and The Bookish. This week the list is Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book. I’ve included an example of a book that I’ve loved with the particular word/topic that made me pick it up. In no particular order…
1. Tudors– I have a bit of an obsession with The Tudors and I have no idea where it’s come from. I just find that era fascinating. I loved the Philippa Gregory Tudor series. I never watched the TV series The Tudors. I wonder if I should, or whether it’s just reading about them that I love to do.
2. London– I absolutely love London, and know it fairly well, so books that are set in London really appeal to me. I just love knowing the places that authors discuss in their books. I have a lot of special memories from London trips. If I could live there I would.
3. Teaching- I work in an infant school, specifically with 5-6 year olds. Stories around teaching/school life always make me smile.
4. Music- Another passion of mine, besides reading, is music. I don’t think there’s a day that goes by without me listening to music in some shape or form.
5. Magical- If a book has a magical element in it, I’m usually drawn to it. I love suspending disbelief and just going with the story, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.
6. Dance- I can not dance to save my life, but I really love watching dancing (especially ballet) so if I read a book is about dance in some way I’m very likely to pick it up.
7. Psychological Thriller- I used to read the same sort of books but within the past year or so, I’ve really got into psychological thrillers. I seem to like reading things that are a bit messed up!
8. Dystopian- I’ve recently got into Dystopian books a lot more. I know there are a hell of a lot of Dystopian books out there, some not so good as others but so far the ones I have read I’ve really enjoyed!
9. Fairy tales- I still seem to fall in love with fairy tale stories or retellings.
10. Chinese/Japanese- I’m also very likely to fall in love with a story based in China or Japan. I just find the way they’re told so beautiful.
Please feel free to share your links to your Top Ten post so I can see what topics make you pick up a book!