Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It’s all about love of lists, love of literature and bringing bookish people together.
This week’s list is all about novellas and short stories that we’ve enjoyed. I decided to put my own spin on this list as I don’t read a lot of novellas or short stories. I do, however, read a Fairy Tale/Folk Tale every Friday as part of my Fairy Tale Friday feature here on my blog. I thought I’d put together my favourite ten!
- The Basket Of Eggs– A cute little Easter story which I believe originates in Canada.
- The Tinderbox- Hans Christian Andersen- I’m sure I’d read this tale before, but it’s basically a happily ever after story involving a princess and a soldier!
- The Snow Queen– Hans Christian Andersen- I hadn’t read the real version of this tale before and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
- The Princess and The Pea– Hans Christian Andersen- Another popular one! I used this one in my class recently and the children absolutely loved it.
- The Red Shoes– Hans Christian Andersen- A pretty grim story involving feet being chopped off, but I loved the concept!
- The Little Match Girl- Hans Christian Andersen- This story is so very sad but beautiful tale.
- The Shoes That Were Danced To Pieces/Twelve Dancing Princesses– Grimm Tales-This one was familiar to me and I loved it.
- Rumpelstiltskin- Grimm Tales- I love the original Rumpelstiltskin. He was such a stupid character!
- Snow White– Grimm Tales- Loved reading the original and comparing it to the Disney tale!
- Rapunzel– Grimm Tales- It’s definitely not like Tangled.