Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It’s all about love of lists, love of literature and bringing bookish people together.
This week’s Top Ten list is a Top Ten freebie! We’re allowed to create our own list or use an old topic. I thought I’d go for 10 Bookish Pet Peeves that I have, so here we go…
- Questionable second hand books– I am not a big fan of second hand books. I like my books to be pristine. I do hate it though when I do get a second hand book and there’s awful stains or horrible smells. Yuck!
- Breaking the spine of a book– When my Gran reads one of my books, she literally bends the spine right back. I hear it creak. Argh!
- Series that have millions (exaggeration!) of books– I don’t have time to commit to long series. I prefer to read standalone books these days.
- Too much detail– I like a bit of detail but I do like to use my imagination.
- Whiny characters– My eyes tend to hurt from rolling them too much.
- Mistakes in printed books/e-books– I completely understand when there are errors in an ARC, but when a book has gone through so much to be published, I find it frustrating when errors haven’t been picked up.
- People that say the printed book is dead– No, no it’s not. I hope it never is. I’m not old-fashioned because I prefer a real book.
- Controlling behaviour said to be romance– Ick. Just no. Controlling is controlling and it makes my skin crawl. It’s not romantic.
- Cover changes mid series- Why? I want them all to match!
- Student-teacher relationships– As a teacher myself this just sits uncomfortably with me.