For this feature, I like to explore a certain topic and list my reasons why or why I don’t support the topic in question. This time, I’d like to talk about picture books!
It seems that a lot of parents want to push children on to chapter books ASAP. I don’t know if it’s because they think their children are more proficient when they’re on chapter books. I would like to say that there’s still a time and a place for picture books for children up to the age of 12 and some beyond that!
Here are my reasons why I love reading picture books to older children!
- Some picture books have incredibly complex sentence structure and rich vocabulary.
- The illustrations can encourage conversation and allow children to find something new each time.
- Pictures can stimulate the imagination much more than a chapter book. They give children with little imagination an idea. They can paint a picture in the child’s mind.
- There are so many more picture books out now for older children. Don’t be put off by books aimed at younger children. There are some fabulously rich text picture books out there now for them.
- Pictures books can encourage fantastic conversation.
Here are just two ideas of picture books for older children: