As several might know I am a HUGE Roald Dahl fan. I’ve used his books in the classroom. I devoured them as a child. I’ve watched all of the adaptations. When I heard that they were remaking The B.F.G I was a little worried. This book is one of my favourites. I worried that it would be ruined. Whilst I don’t think it’s a flawless film, I was pleasantly surprised.
Things I liked:
- Mark Rylance was a fabulous BFG. He was endearing, funny and true to the character in the book.
- Ruby Barnhill was a fantastic Sophie.
- The wonderful BFG-isms were present.
- Fantastic imagery.
- Some scenes (namely the whizzpopper scenes, especially the one at the palace) were done so well.
Things I didn’t like:
- Sophie was a little bit too fiesty in places.
- Added extras. I understand it’s for the movie ‘experience’ but I didn’t think the inclusion of another child added much to the story. I know it’s going to confuse my class who are so familiar with the book.
- The giants weren’t nearly scary enough. Quentin Blake’s illustrations terrified me as a child! Even in the 1989 cartoon version they were scarier.
Would I recommend it?:
Despite my reservations and little niggles- yes!